self care3.jpg

Sick/Fit Notes

You only need a “fitness-for-work” certificate if you are ill and are unable to work for seven calendar days or longer. Your employer will provide you with an SC2 self-certificate form for shorter periods of illness. To claim Incapacity Benefit you can download an SC1 form.

If your employer insists on a certificate within the first seven days, your clinician may issue a private sickness certificate. There will be a charge for a private certificate.


Your clinician is only able to issue a certificate if they are, themselves, able to ascertain that you have been ill . Alternatively, if they have appropriate documentary evidence from another health professional of your incapacity. Without such evidence of incapacity they will be unable to issue any form of fitness-for-work certification.


If you have already seen a health professional you may not need to book a GP appointment. Please contact our front of house team who will advise you as to whether an appointment is required.